Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Internet Caught on Fire!

Well, the Internet Archive caught on fire. And even then really just one building full of scanning equipment, not any servers.

I absolutely love the Internet Archive. If you've never checked it out I encourage you to do so. They store an absolutely mind-boggling amount of data which is freely accessible to the public. They also have what is known as "The Wayback Machine" which allows users to view websites as they appeared in the past. (I recommend McDonalds from 1996.)

I got an email from them today informing me of the tragic fire. They lost 20 boxes of books and film that were in the process of being digitized. Some of them were irreplaceable.

They also included this gem from the archives. It's absolutely terrifying.


That's all for today folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment