Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Mobile Post 3 (Updated)

First day of camp. Call sign:Chewbacca. Busy all day. No comp yet. Saw Robin Hood yestday, good but slow. Wooo camp food. Just relizd this is like tweting damn.
__________________________________________________________
So I really don't like doing the whole "mobile posting" thing, despite the fact that I've been using them a lot recently. While my phone isn't quite as limited as a tweet (160 characters as opposed to 140) it still isn't very satisfying for me or probably for you to leave just a short blurb. However, until I had access to my new laptop my phone was about the only way I could post at all.

One of the things Maintenance here at Camp Mechuwana is trying out this year is the use of walkie-talkies to communicate with each other. I don't think there are many things as fun as a walkie-talkie that are also as useful. Aside from the handy ability to communicate with my fellows a walkie-talkie instantly makes you feel like a badass. Especially if you're normally a nerdy nerd like me. Walkie-talkies are like the perfect combination of nerdy and tough. Add the badassery of a cool call-sign and you have a damn good time.

We've spent a lot of the week coming up with proper call-signs for ourselves. At one point Jarod decided Landon would be Lando Calrissian, Jarod would be Han Solo, I would be Chewbacca, and the truck was the Millenium Falcon. This agreed with me. However it left the problem of who would be Luke, Leia, Darth Vader, Yoda, etc. So we scrapped that one and moved on to real radio call-signs. You may not be familiar with the name of the "NATO phonetic alphabet" but I'm sure you're familiar with some of the content.

Using a person's initials, you change A to Alpha, B to Bravo, etc. This is often used by the military. For a full list of the phonetic alphabet, click here. Using this method, I am Sierra Romeo, Dylan is Delta Tango, and Jarod (best of all) is Juliet Romeo. Jarod wants to change the letter J. This system isn't perfect either because it isn't very fun to call someone Sierra Sierra if their initials are "SS" or any other double letter. I only just now solved that by researching that link above. For a repeat letter you simply can switch to the Western Union version. Thus "SS" becomes Sierra Sugar.

So I've been sitting in the Commons here neglecting to go to the Music Theater camp's show down below in Asbury Theatre because I want internet. I need the tubes that connect me to the world. Which is good, cause I had quite a bit of catching up to do.

But now I can check off updating my blog from my list of things to do. I know it isn't technically a NEW post, but it's certainly a big add-on.

3 comments:

  1. Juliet George HotelJune 27, 2010 at 12:20 AM

    I's an awesome add-on

    -Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was extremely confused as to who you were for a moment there. Night camp makes things confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie Bravo... has a ring to it. And tubes are always good.

    ReplyDelete