Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Webcomics. They consume my soul. I don't mind.

Gone are the days where I could name every comic strip I knew of. Calvin and Hobbes, Peanuts, The Far Side, etc. Nowadays I keep up with six and a half webcomics. If you search "webcomics" on google, the first site you get returned has an index of more than 14,600 webcomics. FOURTEEN THOUSAND! Most are just badly scribbled jokes with limp punchlines. But with such a plethora to choose from, it isn't terribly hard to find a few gems in a short time. Here are my favorite comics starting with the best.

XKCD -"a webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language" Definitely my favorite webcomic ever. Nationally acclaimed and self-supporting, Randall Munroe seldom fails to deliver an intelligent and witty comic.

Looking For Group - This comic is the most graphic novel-esque that I read. You can't really jump into the middle, but have to go back and start from the beginning. The comic blantantly makes fun of fantasy novels, movies, and MMORPG's while at the same time using such obscure references you have to be a fantasy geek to get them all. Very well executed with an interesting plot and a comic relief character who isn't annoying in the least. Also, I have Richard socks. My sister got them for me.


Dresden Codak - Very hard to follow sometimes with its high-intelligence standard but when I manage to understand everything it can be very funny. I only came upon this comic a few days ago and it doesn't seem to update with any regularity, otherwise it would be higher on my list. I recommend "Fabulous Prizes" or "Girl vs. Bear" for first time readers.

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal - Usually a single panel comic good for a quick laugh. Sometime the author is too exhausted to make a decently funny panel, and his updates are often late, but most of the time you get what you came for, a funny comic.

Cyanide and Happiness - This one is hit or miss. Some days I read it I laugh so hard my beard jiggles. Other days I just kinda sit there with a mildly disinterested face, and still others I am mildly offended. Still, with four different authors and animated shorts, its worth checking out.

Least I Could Do - Warning, this comic contains content that may not be suitable for children. This comic is both often politically incorrect and tasteful. I recommend reading it from the beginning to the end, it's interesting to watch both the characters and the author mature as time goes on. It portrays a realistic view of life without losing any comedic value. You really have to read them ALL to get the whole picture though. As I said though, it can be rather non-school-friendly at times

Ctrl+Alt+Del - I wasn't entirely sure about this comic at first, and many people view it as being only mildly funny and rather cliche. But I'm a notorious webcomic addict, and once I started reading I couldn't stop. Though I will admit that the current story arc is rather dull.

There are dozens of other webcomics I could list here, but that would officially eat up the remainder of my life......So I'll only mention two more...All Knowledge is Strange and the always consistent Dinosaur Comics. You'll notice I stopped adding pictures after the first two comics. This is due to a condition I like to call laziness.

Comics are how I unwind at home and they also provoke thought and provide insight into the world. So....check some out and come back in the next few days for an update including some must-read books.

No comments:

Post a Comment