Pages

Monday, October 21, 2013

A Grim November

Wait for it.....



Wait for it...........




I'M DOING NANOWRIMO!

You might be asking "If he's so excited about this why is this post titled 'A Grim November'?" It's an allusion to the topic of my novel. However, I will throw away any pretense of suspense now and tell you that my novel is based on the dungeon-crawler The Legend of Grimrock. I promise the actual novel will have suspense. 

I suppose you also might be asking "What the heck is NaNoWriMo?" If you are, look at that image again silly. Here's the gist of it. From November 1st to November 30th I will attempt to write 50,000 words that in some way resemble a novel.

I've already got a bit of a head start on it because I'm also using the novel as a piece to turn in for my creative writing class. Which is a bit cheaty but NaNoWriMo is really more about getting your butt in gear to write something than it is following the rules. That said I am going to try and write 50,000 more words than I already have in my novel.

I'm only loosely basing my novel on the game. Both the game and my story start with four prisoners being taken to the top of Mount Grimrock. They are being given a final chance to live. If they can survive the descent into the mountain from the pit at the top they will be granted pardon. They are pushed in. After the first chamber the game and my story split (although after that the game doesn't really have much of a story, it's just hack and slash and puzzle.) I might use pieces of the endgame but to be honest it was kind of a crappy ending. I'm also doing a bit of world building using the map provided by the game's creators as a guide.

My sister (who is apparently way cooler than I am) has managed to get TEN of her coworkers to try NaNoWriMo this year. You can check in on my progress on my NaNoWriMo page or in a widget on the side of my blog.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment