Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Blogging is good for the brain!

In a recent case study conducted by a student at Winthrop High School, it was discovered that the act of blogging, which is a form of journaling for the internet, can improve grades and sharpen memory. Spencer Roberts interviewed himself on the subject.

Spencer:
So who exactly is this case study on?

Spencer:
Well, I found a prime candidate for my research. A relatively new blogger, prone to absent-mindedness, who has difficulty getting writing to flow in time-pressured situations like in-class essays

Spencer:
...or blogging.

Spencer:
Right. My research began about a month after he started blogging. He suffered from many of the problems young, new bloggers do including lack of motivation and a tendency to apologize when posts did not appear as they were promised. In his English class he would often pass in hastily written papers which he wasn't satisfied with. Getting thoughts from mind to paper were difficult.

Spencer:
So his blog helped him overcome this writers block?

Spencer:
Very much so. By the third month I noted marked improvement in the quality of his English papers. He also reported being much more relaxed and was more interested in what he was writing.

Spencer:
Was it simply an inward improvement or did the change show in his grades?

Spencer:
There was a slight increase in the average grade of his English papers which can be attributed to both the writing improvement and the other benefit of blogging.


Spencer:
What is the other benefit? Monetary value?



Spencer:
Ha! The day his blog makes money is the day I make money off my research! Not going to happen. The other benefit is in increased memory function. Spencer is notorious amongst his friends for being forgetful. He even managed to forget an entire person, a friend of his, over the course of one summer!

Spencer:
Really? Bet he never hears the end of that.

Spencer:
No, he doesn't.

Spencer:
Anyway, you were saying?

Spencer:
I was? Oh, right. His memory has shown signs of improvement as well. He should probably eat some more fish to supplement that improvement, but it is a start.

Spencer:
That's all the time we have for today, thanks for being with us today Spencer and sharing this good news! Who knows, maybe I should start a blog!

Spencer:
Somehow I don't think that would work. You seem like the type that would just end up talking to yourself.

Spencer:
Nonsense! I'd have loads of conversations in the comments!

Spencer:
Sure......

Spencer:
Have a good night folks!


by Spencer Roberts, editor for SIR news

3 comments:

  1. You never let *yourself* hear the end of that (the forgetting a friend over the summer). But that goes with the rest of the post, I suppose. Let the conversation commence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Josh never lets me hear the end of it. If I ever insinuate that my memory is improving or that I recall something better than he does he immediately cites the fact that I forgot him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww. That's not very nice, Josh.

    ReplyDelete