Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

Sorry!

I've been neglecting the blog for quite a while now. Sorry about that, faithful readers. I promise I'll have a more substantial update soon. All I have for you today is a short rant about Facebook and then a couple of websites. Oh, and I finally fixed the problem with the post timestamps. Somehow my time zone got switched to the west coast. Bizzare.

If you have a Facebook you may have noticed that over the past few days thousands upon thousands of women have been posting a Facebook status update containing a color or a number. Allegedly this is to raise awareness for breast cancer. A worthy cause to be sure. It would just be nice if they'd come up with a less obnoxious way to do it. The color indicates what color their bra is that day, and the number (accompanied by a sad face emoticon) indicates their shoe size (though it is meant to humourously insinuate that their partners are less-than-satisfactorily-endowed). I would like to ask what all this really accomplishes. Does this "raised-awareness" actually do anything? In my opinion if someone were to post FACTS or perhaps a link to a pertinant story it might be more successful in garnering support and donation for breast cancer research. Seeing a shoe size or bra color simply makes me annoyed that the person couldn't come up with something original.

I understand that humans enjoy participating in group activities and "jumping on the bandwagon" and I also understand that facts and links aren't as virulent in their nature but I doubt that any more actual progress has been made thanks to this strange effort. Though I'm probably just biased as this movement originates from a chain mail. I have an intense dislike of chain mail.

While you wait for something more than a rant, amuse yourself with these "single serving sites." Each site does one thing and one thing only. These are only a few, there are hundreds out there.


Is it Christmas? (The simplest one of all)

Are you a ninja? (Q: Where do ninjas hide? A: Wherever they want.)

I am awesome

Color Flip (Yup.)

Zombo (Anything at all...)

Defiant Dog (this one's pretty accurate)

KAZAM! (Or that's what I call it anyway. On this one, click on the images on the top bar for more pages. That's assuming you have nothing better to do.)

Waste of Time (That's all it is)

3 comments:

  1. Hey, It's Jordon. I don't know if you read the NPR story regarding the bra color thing, but here it is. http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2010/01/facebook_bra_color_and_breast.html?sc=fb&cc=fp
    interesting look at how people "get involved" now a-days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, what color bra are YOU wearing, Spencer? HUH????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precisely! Thank you Jordon, no I hadn't seen that.

    And Emily, if I did, it would definitely be plaid.

    ReplyDelete